Condom broke while having intercourse, breast feeding mother, ipill banned, 17th day of periods.

We had intercourse yesterday and to my bizarre luck the condoms broke, she is a feeding mother to a 8 months old baby girl, she had her periods XXXXXXX 11, july 7, august 4 and yesterday happened to be her 17th day ... what should be do now ... heard that iPill is banned and worried what side effects it will have for the feeding child ... we are from chennai ... so what medicine should be take as morning after pill ?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 25 minutes later

From the history provided it is clear that there might be slight chances of being pregnant.

Normally ovulation occurs on the 14th-15th day of the cycle. And the fertile period of the cycle, is day 12 to day 18 of the cycle.

Hence I would suggest you to use the Emergency contraceptive pills containing levonorgestrel (I PILL, Unwanted 72, etc) immediately but after discussing with your Gynecologist, to prevent any chances of pregnancy.

The information that I pill is banned is incorrect.

With regard to the use of I PILL during breast-feeding, it is safe but requires special precautions hence would be better to discuss with your doctor before taking the pill.

I-pill is a Progestin-only containing pill, and using it only once will not affect either the quantity or quality of the milk while breastfeeding.

I hope this helps. In case any more doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: Condom broke while having intercourse, breast feeding mother, ipill banned, 17th day of periods. 16 hours later
I have given her em-Pill, what special precautions should be taken ? She has stopped feeding the baby as of now ..... how long should we stop ....
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later
Hello Again,

There are no major precautions to be taken as such.

But please be patient until the period comes. Please note that the period may be delayed by a few days (Maximum 1 week).

There is no need to stop breast feeding due to the use of I pill. You can resume breast feeding anytime now.

I hope this helps

Dr Anvekar.