Concious about armpit and pubic hair. What can be done?

Question
Hi doctor,my daughter is 12 yr old and is having armpit and pubic hair which she feels concious of.How best can I help her?also she feels shy of hair in arms and legs.Kindly advise.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Puberty usually begins between ages 10 and 14 for girls, and ages 12 and 16 for boys. Your daughter who is 12 years of age should not feel shy because the hair in her armpits and her pubic area are a normal process of puberty.

The physical changes during puberty are scaled on a scale of 1 to 5, called XXXXXXX staging.Both appearance of hair on genitalia and breast buds are in XXXXXXX stage 2 and onset of the menstrual cycles (menarche) begins about 2 to 2 1/2 years after the onset of breast development.

Explain the normal puberty changes to her so that she does not feel shy.These are normal physicological changes.

Regarding getting rid of these hair, at such a young age, it is advisable not to get rid of them. But if she feels them cosmetically unpleasant, then she can opt for methods for their removal which are shaving, chemical depilation by using depilatory creams, temporary epilation by plucking, tweezing, waxing and permanent epilation by electrolysis, thermolysis and laser hair removal. She needs to consult a good cosmetologist for these methods.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Concious about armpit and pubic hair. What can be done? 7 minutes later
Hi doctor,I am in agreement with all you that you advised.But my question is what is the best and safest method to be adopted for the hair removal procedure since it is neccessary.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Considering your daughter's age, she can shave the pubic or armpit hair or get them removed by laser hair removal. When shaving ensure the following points:

* Change blades frequently
* Shave against the hair growth direction
* Soften the area with warm water
* Use moisturizers regularly to keep hair soft
* Use blades with guard wires

Lasers do not remove hair permanently, but stops growth in the hair follicle, slowing it down until the growth re-starts and the treatment has to be repeated. This works best on people who have dark hair but light skin.

Follow-up: Concious about armpit and pubic hair. What can be done? 2 days later
hello doctor,thnx so much fr ur prompt advice.Will definitely consider them.Also I wanted to knw which commercially available epilatory cream can be used with minimal side effects?Do these creams cause skin darkening?Can I advise her to use pumice stone on skin for the same purpose?
Awaiting your reply eagerly.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Depliatory creams contain many chemicals which can cause contact dermatitis, allergies as well as skin darkening. This skin darkening may not be reversible with rubbing with pumice stone and moreover rubbing these sensitive areas with pumice stone may irritate the area and cause rough dry skin.

At her age, it is advisable not to use depilatory creams and pumice stone.

Hope this answers your query.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.