What causes to have dry skin on my penis?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have minor dry skin on my penis. I have applied Man1 oil as moisturizer. I was also just tested for STDs so I know its not an STD. How do I know if this is just dry skin or if it is fungal. I was recently just on amoxicyllin. If it is fungal, how do I treat it? I don't have health insurance right now. If I stretch the skin I see very small white areas that look like dry skin
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Examination Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have read your query & I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) It is difficult to diagnose if you just say dry skin. There are so many conditions that occur in penis skin 2) I suggest you send a picture along with query as attachment which will help me to see if there is extra skin growth or cracks in skin etc. 3) Let me know if this is affecting your sex life. Let me know details so that i can answer you better. I will be available for any followup queries you have. Regards, Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: What causes to have dry skin on my penis? 30 minutes later
I uploaded a photo. I had just put some man1 oil on it as a moisturizer. I didn't want to wash that off because it that could make it worse if it is just dry skin. I just noticed it had a rough texture in spots and it freaked me out because I'm just recently off amoxicyllin. I don't have any pain. Im wondering if I should switch from using bar soap to a moisturizing body wash. My arms also feel dry.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Shave clean Detailed Answer: Hi, It appears to be minor skin infection due to fungus . Fungus is probably spreading from pubic hairs and friction with hairs is increasing it. Please shave pubic area hairs clean and Keep the area dry and wash it wice daily with soap and water. You will see good results in 10 days. Let me know if you have more doubts. Regards

Follow-up: What causes to have dry skin on my penis? 38 minutes later
can this be treated with over the counter antifungal cream? I would rather not shave my pubic area also can this be spread to someone else? specifically Lotrimin would trimming the pubic hairs be sufficient?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Shave Detailed Answer: Hi, I feel shaving is more important than ointment. It might even be sufficient without ointment too. You can use the over the counter available medicines only after shaving. It is unlikely to spread to others. Regards

Follow-up: What causes to have dry skin on my penis? 5 minutes later
there is no way to treat this without shaving? I have an active sex life and do not want to look like a child sorry to be difficult but shaving also can cause irritation and discomfort I also have a partner visiting in two days and is it ok to still apply moisturizer or will it spread it also....what signs led you to believe that it is a skin infection due to fungus so that I know in the future

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: moisture will soread it Detailed Answer: Hi, These lesion what is seen occurs with fungal infection. This exaggerates by rubbing against pubic hairs. Applying moisture will spread it. Keep are clean and dry It is better to shave or clip. Regards

Follow-up: What causes to have dry skin on my penis? 1 hour later
should I also avoid masturbation? sex?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: dry Detailed Answer: Hi, It is better to avoid mastrubation and sex for 10 days. If you cant, clean it properly after sex and keep the area dry.

Follow-up: What causes to have dry skin on my penis? 23 hours later
Do you have any tips for treating razor bumps? I shaved the area as per your advice and now have irritation. I have an ingrown hair treatment that I put on pubic area. I used an exfoliating body wash and loofah. Though all of the above is supposed to help. It made the area more red? I guess my plans for tomorrow with a friend who drove four hours are cancelled.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Dont apply Detailed Answer: Hi, Just leave the area clean and dry. Dont apply anything. The bumps will appear soon by themselves. Regards