Complaining of numbness in fingers, shoulder and arms. Suggested due to thyroid medications. Having back pain. Guide?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My wife has been complaining of numbness in her fingers during various times of the day, and also numbness of the shoulder and arm when she wakes up in the morning. It takes 15-20 minutes for the numbness to go away. Some doctors have suggested this is due to her thyroid medication. Recently, she is also getting frequent pain in the lower back, just above the hip. Please suggest what type of specialist to consult
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 hours later

Numbness in shoulder, arm and fingers seems to be due to pinched nerve at cervical spine (neck). It could also be due to decreased vit b12 level. Frequent lower back pain seems to be muscular in nature.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician for thorough examination and investigation according to that to reach the diagnosis.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon