Colonoscopy, polyp removed, bowel cancer in siblings. Possibility for me ?

just had a colonoscopy. dr. removed polyp for exm.
my 2 syblings have bowel cancer, am i likely to have it?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with information regarding this. As far as we know there are certain types of colon cancer which can be hereditary. That is to say that the risk of colon cancer is higher in some families. The fact that your siblings had cancer of the bowel does potentially place you at higher risk. This does not mean that you certainly have any kind of cancer. However. I am glad to hear you recently had a colonoscopy performed.

Having a colonoscopy performed is the single most effective way of diagnosing cancer early and preventing it from progressing to a state where it becomes difficult to treat.

Another important consideration would be to know when your siblings were diagnosed with bowel cancer. If they were diagnosed when they were young or under the age of 50, that Would place you at a bit of a higher risk for cancer. Again assuming that you have had a colonoscopy previously with good results I am hesitant to conclude or even think that you might have cancer at this time. It will usually take three or four days for the pathologist to completely examine the tissue which your doctor has provided. After that point you can know for sure what is going on. I am suspicious that what you had worth the nine to polyps. And you will find this out sometime soon.

A colonoscopy is a very thorough procedure. If they were able to find something significant they would have reported it to you as this exam allows a position to completely visualize your colon. I am happy to know that they only found a couple of polyps. These are most likely benign.

I recommend for the time being that you remain calm as you anticipate the results which will likely be provided to you within the next week. If you have any additional concerns I am available to address them. I hope my response has been adequate and informative for you.

Dr. Robert.
Follow-up: Colonoscopy, polyp removed, bowel cancer in siblings. Possibility for me ? 11 hours later
Hi, thank you for the answer. Just a sentence i did not understand (I am suspicious that what you had the nine polyps!)
Follow-up: Colonoscopy, polyp removed, bowel cancer in siblings. Possibility for me ? 3 hours later
Hi, why does the dr want to see me at the clinic in 3 mths when we do not have the test results of the polyps yet?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 59 minutes later

First of all, I apologize for the typographical error. I meant to say benign and not "the nine" regarding your polyps. My word processing software somehow changed it - sorry about any confusion regarding this.

I am not entirely sure why he wants to see you in 3 months. Perhaps it is to evaluate how you are feeling and how you are doing in addition to discussing the results of the colonoscopy in detail.

Rest assured that if there were any abnormal findings from the pathologist that your doctor will contact you as soon as the results are available to him.

Again I thank you for your query. I hope my answers have been helpful. If you have additional concerns please let us know.

Dr. Robert