Cold sore, valtrex. Possibility of infection?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? I have a cold sore and I am worried about spreading it . Last night i felt like a sore bump on my vagina and i popped it, puss came out and now it kinda burns... it has not raised or began to look like a blister but i am concerned is it easy to spread on yourself ? I began taking valtrex for my cold sore this morning and have never taken it before. I guess what I am asking is how likely is it that I spread the cold sore to my genital area?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 12 minutes later

Cold sores are caused by HSV-1. Genital herpes is mostly caused by HSV-2.

So you see there is only a minimal chance of you spreading the cold sore to the genitals. Minimal because, a very small percentage of genital herpes is caused by HSV1 and a very small percentage of cold sore is caused by HSV 2. So when you calculate the possibility of getting genital herpes from a cold sore- the chances are very less. Now that you have started Valtrex, there is nothing much to worry about.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: Cold sore, valtrex. Possibility of infection? 30 minutes later

Okay thank you, so you think it is two different things?? Also will the Valtrex still help my cold sore even though I did not take it right when I got it ? I took it when it got bad? Should I go get a swab test done by my doctor for my genital area or should i just assume it is fine and let it go away on it's own? I am just worried that it will get worse or that I assume it is not genital herpes and it really is? Even though I have never had this happen before, I have had cold sores for a few years... Also a lot of the time I get cold sores it is after giving oral to my boyfriend. Not every time but sometimes, is that just a coincidence or is it something he should get checked for as well? Please respond thank you
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 14 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Once a cold sore patient, always a cold sore patient. Thats the dictum at present. It is not completely curable but only can be controlled by improving your immunity. It has no direct relation to oral sex. But it may spread through kissing.

If you have an erosion over the genital, its best to get it tested ( Tzanck smear) to check if its herpes or not. But in case your boyfriend has genital herpes and if you have indulged in unprotected sex, then it is a real possibility. In any case, it would be better to get examined by a Dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.