Chronic insomnia, lack of concentration, memory. On citalopram medication for anxiety. History of pneumonia. Problem with immune system ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
cant sleep at all ,still awake at 3 oclock this morning this has been going on for years ,doc has given me citalopram 10mg im a bit nevers to take these but have been on them for 6 days ,this is really effecting my life and job cant seem to remember or consantrate on things ,i think this brought my pneumonia on couple of years ago (boop) this is link to an immune system problem
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Chronic insomnia usually needs both anti depressants and sedatives for treatment. Drugs like Citalopram ar enot immunosuppressants and are not likely to precipitate pneumonia. They produce their effect over weeks. Taking them only for six days is not likely to show much difference.

Meanwhile, can you try the following non-medical interventions:
1. Stick to specific routine of wake and sleep.
2. Hit the bed exactly at that particular time.
3. Change in lifestyle - do not use the bed for any other purpose apart from sleep.
4. Warm cup of milk 30 min before planned sleep.
5. A 1 hr exercise routine added in the morning after you get up.
6. Avoiding any possible afternoon naps.

You need to follow your doctors advise regarding treatment and if it is not helping you can ask him to add a good sedative on your next visit.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.