Chronic bronchitis, wheezing, breathing problems. PFT done, no asthma. Treatment?

Question
Hi. I am XXXXXXX 40 years old, living in Bangalore, India, having very high polluiton level. I am non alchoholic and i do not smoke. I have a Chronic Bronchoitis for over 6 months now. I got the PFT done and it confirmed that it is not Asthama. I have wheezing and breathing difficulty at times. I also have productive caugh. What do i do ?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

It is good that you have done a PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) and ruled out Asthma.

Chronic bronchitis is one of the most common lung diseases which involves a long-term cough with mucus. Apart from smoking, exposure to gases, fumes and pollution can lead to chronic bronchitis.

One may have some relief in summers but symptoms gets aggravated in winter.

Some measures you can take care are:

1. Prevention of any lower like Salbutamol and Ipratropium bromide.
3. During severe attacks, you might have to use inhalational steroids as well.
4. Regular exercises especially cardiac exercises will help improve your body resistance and also effort tolerance.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Chronic bronchitis, wheezing, breathing problems. PFT done, no asthma. Treatment? 35 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. Doesn't Chronic Bronchitis have a Permanent Cure ? You have suggested Inhaler, is it safe to use Inhaler for a long time ? & what are the side effects. At present i do not have a severe problem so shall i take it that i dont need to take steriods for now ? Shold i or should i not continue the existing treament of Montelucas Sodium+Livocitrizine tablets & Ozonase nasal spray ? Does taking Antibiotic in addition will help ?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

The inhaler I have suggested does have side effects if used in recommended doses. If the dose you take is more than recommended, it may cause tremors of the hands and also a mild increase in heart rate but long term side effects are minimal.

Since you are doing well and have no severe symptoms, there is no need to take steroids.

Antibiotics should be taken only during acute exacerbations and also if you are running temperature.

The drugs prescribed by your doctors are adequate to treat bronchitis. Please continue them.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Have a speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Chronic bronchitis, wheezing, breathing problems. PFT done, no asthma. Treatment? 31 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for the quick revert. I had asked whether Chronic Bronchitis has a Permanent Cure ? Please let me know. Also i heard that inhalers deliver only a small fraction of the medicine (compared to tablets) directly to Lungs hence safer than tablets, is that true ?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 minutes later
Hello again.

Chronic bronchitis just like Hypertension and Diabetes, does not have permanent cure but there are excellent drugs with minimal side effects to control them from becoming lethal.

Inhalational drugs are safe and is delivered directly and no other organs are involved or harmed.

Required amount of drug concentration is delivered directly into the respiratory tract compared to tablets which might get metabolized by the gastric juices.

But at this point, I must add that tablets or inhalational is not a 'choice' and is given based on the requirement and differs from Patient to Patient based how well they are doing.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wish you good health.

Regards.