Choked throat, cough. General medication?

Hi, I am suffering from a choke throat and Cough since last 2-3 days. Can you help me with the general medication one has to take for the same.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

I presume you meant sore throat and cough since last 2-3 days. May I know if you also suffer from fever?
Do you have a dry cough / cough with mucous expectoration?

Sore throat and cough are symptoms of upper respiratory tract inflammation. It can be due to bacterial/viral infection or perhaps due to other gastrointestinal causes. The following measures can be helpful in relieving the symptoms:

1. Warm salt water gargles three times a day.
2. Throat lozenges can be taken twice or thrice a day. Vicks/strepsills are common lozenges available in India.
3. Over the counter cough syrups like benadryl can be taken thrice a day.
4. In addition, steam inhalation can be beneficial.
5. Keep yourself well hydrated and take plenty of fruits and vegetables.

I would look forward for additional information to comment further.