Chlamydia,infection,azithromycin,white discharge

i had chlamydia and i took 4 600m tablets of azithromycin and i know it was a lot but i want to know if it will kill the infection?i went to the bathroom three times what does that mean?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for the query,

The usual dose of azithromycin is 1 gm stat(single dose). And it should be taken 1 hour before food (on empty stomach). It is notorious to cause gastritis,vertigo, palpitation etc.

Yes, it does kill the chlamydia organism and it is pretty effective.

At times when diagnosis of any STD is not sure then it is recommended as syndromic management also, which can cover many STDs.

Regarding frequency of urination, you need not worry too much. The medicine would take some time to have it's full effect.

But I would like to know whether you had purulent white discharge too per urethra along with burning micturition. And how was the diagnosis made?

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Follow-up: Chlamydia,infection,azithromycin,white discharge 7 hours later
i know about the 1 gram but i wanted to know if what i took(the dose) will kill it and how long would it take?i took it at 8am and i have ate 2 small pieces of chicken at 7am so will it still work?the diagnosis was made at the health department i hade a white discharge and burning while urinating
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later

Thank your the reply,

Yes it would definitely work, until unless you have any resistant strain. If one takes it with food the bio availability of the medicine would go down a bit. Usually we prescribe it either 1 hour before food or 2 hour after food.

In your case you had taken medicine 1 hour after food, so the bio availability would come down a bit, but it would still work.

Another reason why it is not given with food is that it may cause loose motion if given with food.

You should see the response only after 48 hours of taking the medicine.

In case of doubt, you can repeat the same dose(1gm) after 7 days of gap.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr.Bharat chawda.
Follow-up: Chlamydia,infection,azithromycin,white discharge 19 minutes later
what is resistant strain?
Follow-up: Chlamydia,infection,azithromycin,white discharge 14 minutes later
is it normal to get diahreaa i went three times
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 22 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

By resistant strains, I meant that some patients get infected by non-gonococcal species or some non-specific urethritis. This would require antibiotics like Norfloxacin.

And yes, Azithromycin can cause diarrhea if not taken empty stomach as I had mentioned earlier. When one takes antibiotics, the effect would be also on the normal flora present in the gut which is responsible for the digestion.

Now that they are killed, this can lead to diarrhea. In such cases one needs to take either Metronidazole or Lactobacillus supplements.

You can consult any physician for this and get properly treated.

Hope this answers your query,

Wish you good health

Dr.Bharat chawda