Child with marble sized lump under chin, teething, no fever and good diet. should I be concern?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I just noticed a rather large marble sized lump under my 8 month old granddaughters chin. While she is teething (has 5 so far) I don't want to chalk it up to that. What on earth could it be attributed to ? No fever BTW and good appetite.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to HCM!
You did not mention where it is under the chin and whether it is tender to touch.
If it is away from mid line it is likely to be an enlarged lymph node- under the chin.
Any infection in the mouth,tonsils,can cause this .

Mid line swellings are many like thyroid, thyroglossal cyst,etc.- it will not come overnight!
Skin infections/abscess should also be thought of which will be red,inflamed,and tender.
If no improvement in 48 hrs,pl show to the doctor.
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child with marble sized lump under chin, teething, no fever and good diet. should I be concern? 15 hours later
Here's the situation:
I'm grandma.
Both parents are educated, healthy and very devoted to their children. They moved off grid and grow their own food and livestock .. all organic of course. Children are healthy, happy amd well nourished. Both home births...delivered by father. No Doctors involved, only midwife. I don't have them often but do until tomorrow. They do not see a pediatrician " children have been raised throughout the world for thousands of years just fine and healthy without medical interference and ate more hardy than those who are given drugs for every sniffle that comes their way weakening thier children immine system....blah blah blah... Get the picture?

They are aware of lump and chalk it up to teething. neither child has seen a Doctor before. Nor do they have health insurance. That's where you come in for me, right now...this moment.

My question is this: what are the possible causes a rather large marble sized Not tender or red or bothersome lump would form RIGHT BEHIND CHIN BONE? It fills the space there so can not determine if midline, can say it is CENTERED.

I will discuss with them the possible causes you will inform me with and ramifications of it not being evaluated. I was told they noticed it 2 months ago- RIGHT BEFORE she had her first tooth. Then so many teeth have come since then. They think its teething related. I DO NOT. If necessary, I will take child to a local Dr or emergency room if there is a possibility it could be cancer or something as dire as that. Please let me know .. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
I understand your situation and concern!

My point is you have to see the doctor/ER to decide

Lymph node enlargement causes are many.
Duration of 2 months already,
Big swelling obliterating the space under the chin
So it is not due to acute infection or inflammation like abscess,etc.
It is either some obstructed salivary gland or Thyro glossal cyst or sub mental lymph node enlargement( a biopsy may be needed o rule out lymphomas)
These 3 possibilities have to be evaluated by a pediatric surgeon.

I agree with you the sentiments of some people who believe in naturopathy (but as long as things move normally ) and people are ready to face the outcome of their decision( whether good or bad).
As a grand mother( I am also one!!!), you can council them for one visit at least so that we know what it is.After all can parents deny the right of the child for proper access to treatment??!!!!
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma