Child started feeling sick. Has frequent stomach infection and cold. Prescribed Zentel Suspension. Suggest?

My daughter is 1.2 years old now and started falling sick quite often since she joined day care 3 months back. She has frequent stomach infection or cough or cold.

The doctor we consulted discussed with us that as one of precautions we must deworm her routinely. He has prescribed Zentel Suspension 10ml once in every 3 months till she is 6 yrs of age.

I have following queries regarding the same:
1. Isn't the frequency 3 months too short for deworming. What is the general practice ?
2. What are the side effects of this medicine ?

Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antihelminthic, dosage, side effects.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

The drug present in ZENTEL is Albendazole which is antihelminthic meaning it is a drug against intestinal parasites like tape worm and round worm.

The dosage for children below 2 years is 200 mg orally once a day for 3 days and may be repeated after a month if the infection is confirmed .

The drug Zentel has 400 mg in 10 ml, so u can give 5 ml for children below 2 yrs old or if the child is more than 2 yrs old , full dose can be given.

I am not sure of your child s age as you have mentioned two different ages in your query.

Kindly confirm the age.

Side effects with this drug is nil if given in the correct dosage.
Side effects like headache , skin rash , jaundice , decreased urine out put, decreased blood count can be seen in very high doses.

The dose your doctor has prescribed will not cause any side effects.
You can consider reducing the dose to 5 ml.

In general practice we de worm routinely for every 6 months once.
But if the child is getting infected repeatedly we do it often , say every 3 to 4 months once, and all the family members are also treated, to rule out cross infection from other family members.

Hope i have cleared your doubts, kindly review for any further queries, thank you.
Follow-up: Child started feeling sick. Has frequent stomach infection and cold. Prescribed Zentel Suspension. Suggest? 18 hours later
Thanks much doctor. My child age is 2.5 years (sorry for the typo).

Can you pl. suggest the right dose and frequency of medicine for her ?
Secondly can you pl. let me know if this medicine has to be administered empty stomach or at some preferred time of the day ?

Thanks in advance,
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
5 ml, night, after food.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for the follow up.

You can give the medicine 5 ml in the night after food , repeat the same dose after 2 weeks.

This schedule can be followed every 6 months once. After the age of 3 , the child can be given 10 ml.

Thank you.