Child passing hard stool and frequent urination. Cause and cure?

Hi, my child is 8-months old now.. She is urinating very little, every 10 minutes (for the past 1 month) and the stool that she passes is very hard. She doesn't cry during these.

What could be the reason and what is the solution?
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 40 minutes later
Good evening,

I have went through your query in detail and understood the symptoms.

1. Frequent passing of urine- the foremost and commonest reason would be stools may be due to less fiber and solid content in the food and more of liquidy diet. So i suggest you to include vegetables like boiled beans , boiled carrot and raddish in the diet, you can also include boiled XXXXXXX along with the peal. Try reducing the water content of the weaning foods what you are giving.
Get your pediatrician to examine your child for a better assessment and results.

Hope i have answered your queries, if you have further doubts , feel free to contact us,
Follow-up: Child passing hard stool and frequent urination. Cause and cure? 10 hours later
1. Child uses two diapers (incl. one in night) a day. Could it be because of that?

2. For 8-months old, what is the threshold limit of water intake, as you suggest to restrict water intake? She seems to gulp water, every time it is offered..
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 4 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

1. Diaper is one of the main reasons for urinary tract infection and contact dermatitis. So the frequent urination may be due to either an infection or irritation (contact dermatitis); the later can be ruled out by local examination to find for any skin or mucosal irritation. Infection on the other hand can be ruled out by getting a urine examination.

2. I didn't tell to restrict the water intake. Human body has a capability to sustain water as much as needed and excrete the rest. So let the child drink as much water as it requires; only make the weaning food a bit solid to semisolid consistency and don’t make it too watery. Include fiber foods in the diet as I told earlier.

Hope this answers your query. Kindly follow up with the reports.