Child is on amoxicillin after adenoidectomy. Accidentally given overdose. Is there any risk?

Pediatrician
Question
My 3 yr old was prescribed 4ml amoxicillin twice a day after adenoidectomy. I may have given him a double dose today, not knowing my wife already gave him a dose. He's 39 lb. Is he going to be ok?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX.

I understand your concern.

Relax, there is nothing to worry. Amoxicillin is a safe drug and has a wide therapeutic index.
Continue with next dose as prescribed. Give extra fluids to wash out the medicine.
Watch for any loose motion .

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other question.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless!!