Child is having squinting eyes. How to treat this?

Since last 1 week, my 5 year daughter squint her left eye. This does not happen all time but I have noticed it during night around 8 when I am taking her to bed. She is absolutly fine before that but I also noticed she starts rubbing her eye half an hour so before squint occurs. She is very well aware that her left eye has moved and gets panic I need to reassure her and work with her focussing an dmoving her both eyes in different directions for 10 minutes before it gets normal and then she goes to bed. Please suggest.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 42 minutes later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Primarily what we have to ascertain is whether the eye is going out wards or inwards as this changes the modality of management.
As the problem is more in the evening as the child is fatigued,you have to start with taking care of the general health of the child.See to the diet of the child,she should have good balanced diet.
We also have to have a general check up of the if she needs glasses as they tend to control the deviation of the eye.
Further advice can only be offered after the ascertaining whether the eye is going in or going out.
please get back to me with this information
Follow-up: Child is having squinting eyes. How to treat this? 3 minutes later
Her left eye goes inward. Rest all day she is quite active dont have any difficulty reading or playing. But by the end of day she gets the problem. we had her eye sight tested and it came out 6/9 for both eyes also the optician didnt notice any squint while checking as it was done during day.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 55 minutes later
This is what is called as accommodative squint.
Put in hom atropine1% eye drops if you can get them.
If you do not get them otc then you have to convince the eye care people that your daughter has a problem thereby starting the treatment.
In the mean while take care of her nutrition and ask her to look for distance to relax her eyes at the time of squint.
do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow-up: Child is having squinting eyes. How to treat this? 2 minutes later
Thank you. Also, Is there any specific eye exercise that I can ask and do with her when she has squint to get back to normal? Also, I am more concerned about will this increase with time ?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 7 minutes later
we have to control it in the beginning to prevent it from progressing.
This is overactive accommodation.
This needs relaxation exercises.
This is achieved by looking for a distance like a tree top from your window.
This relaxation is achieved by cycloplegic drops like atropine and hom atropine eye drops.
Take care of her diet and relaxation exercises .
Get back to me whenever necessary.