Child is having chesty cough, runny nose and low grade fever. Looking for cure

my one year old has chesty cough runny nose mucus sometimes clear sometmes grreen and eye yellow gunk. Off and on low grade fevers. And wants to sleep a lot more. What might it be and how can I help her?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later
Hi ,
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

Based on the history you provided, your daughter is probably suffering from a viral upper respiratory tract infection. Viral infections usually subside on their own. Fever might take a few days to subside. Till then keep giving tylenol whenever she has fever. cough and running nose can be present for 1 to 2 weeks, antihistaminics may help, but usually doctors in united states don’t recommend. Nasal saline drops can be used for nasal blocks. Oral intake can be decreased but be satisfied as long as she takes fluids like milk and water and passes urine three to four times a day.
You need to show her to a pediatrician if her fever keeps persisting for more than 3-5 days, if oral intake is poor including fluids, if she has breathing difficulty, has drowsiness.
Don't worry she will be fine. Just keep a watch on her and if needed show her to a pediatrician.
If you have any further queries, I am happy to help you or else kindly close the query.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics