Child is having abdominal pain, sore throat, nausea and low appetite. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
mY SON AGED 8 YEARS OLD COMPLAINED OF STOMACHE ACHE AND DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR WHOLE DAY, hE HAD A SOE THROAT BTWO DAYS BEFORE BUT IT WENT WITH GARGLE THE NEXT DAY. AFTER COMPLAINING OF STOMACHE PAIN' HE HAD NAUSEA AND LOSS OF APPETITE . he physically strained himself in this condition by playing badminton for two hours. he has become very dull. , HE WAS DOWN WITH FEVER and vomitting AS WELL. lft SHOWS sgot 48. hE IS TAKING oflox ANIBIOTIC ALONG WITH ondem AND crocin AS sos. anYTHING ALARMING?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanly you for your querry.
This is nothing to be worried. It is usualy in his age that any throat infection cause abdominal symtoms as well. Also it might be simple gastroenteritis. It usually passes in 4-5 days. SGOT is very slightly elevated, this is temporary and can be resulting from both oflox and crocin.
he should continue with this therapy. The most important thing is to keep him hydrated. Give him enough fluids,especailly if he vomits and has diarrhea.The best for it is water or natural teas. ALso, even if he has no apetite you must make him eat easier food, milk products, boiled food, fresh fruit and vegetables, toast bread.
If you notice symptoms progression, weight losing, blood in stool, fever >39.5 or seizures you should go to hospital immidiately.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help