Child is feeling sick due to fever and unable to walk. What could be the reason for bow legs while trying to walk?

Feb 2013

Every time my 5 year old son is sick with a fever, which is often, he most of the time complain that his legs hurt and that he cant walk. I have to sometimes carry him to the bathroom. when he tries to walk his legs will "bow" out. Is this some mystery illness or is this common.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a mystery.Common in Viral fever or myositis .

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

This type of presentation is not a mystery and common in some children, but the cause has to be evaluated whenever the child presents with this episode with clinical examination and investigations.

Generally children with fevers usually complain body pains and leg pains. And during any fever there may be exaggeration of 'growing pains' which usually occur in children around this age group.

Viral fevers are commonly associated with leg pains and body pains.

And there are some viral fevers which specifically involve muscle groups of lower limbs in which leg pains, limping, inability to walk because of pain are predominant symptoms in addition to fever. This entity is know as viral myositis.

Viral myositis is typically associated with leg pains and difficulty or inability to walk and it can be suggested by elevated muscle enzymes on blood tests.

Therefore I suggest you to take the child to pediatrician whenever the child gets similar episodes fever with pain in legs and inability to walk. The doctor will examine clinically and investigate the child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Child is feeling sick due to fever and unable to walk. What could be the reason for bow legs while trying to walk? 3 minutes later
yes you have thank you very much
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back and contacting me on Healthcare Magic.

I wish your son good health.

Best regards.