Child holds urine as it stings. What can be done?

my friends 4yr old wont let herself urinate as it stings her. What can she do as her daughter busting but holding it.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting in your query

It is possible that the little girl might be carrying an urinary tract infection. Infection in the urinary tract is the most common cause of pain and discomfort while passing urine. Children refrain from passing urine when having an infection as it hurts a lot.

My advice would be,

1. To consult a water.
3. Your friend could try giving some hot fomentation over the tummy to make the child pass urine.

To prevent further such episodes, it is important that the child drinks lots of water, maintains adequate hygiene, is properly toilet trained and is kept clean and dry around her private area

Please get the child investigated and treated for urinary infection at the earliest as it can have ill effects if left unattended.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Gowri