Child having loose stool and loss of appetite. Should I consult a doctor?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hello Dr. My 2 yr old little boy has had really foul smelling loose pale yellow stools for over a week now and seems to have little appetite. He is drinking his milk bottles as usual 2 or 3 a day and seems fine when busy but weary and lathargic other times of the day. He does not have a temperature and refuses to take medicine. I know that there are a lot of bugs and viruses around at present most of which are not really treated with anything other than calpol. Does this sound familiar? Or should I take my son to the doctor ? Thank you very much XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Welcome to HCM!
You are correct!
Most of these are viruses that do not respond to antibiotics and take time .
However the important point is to avoid dehydration.
You have to replace the fluid and electrolyte losses that occur with each watery stool and observe whether he is passing adequate amount of urine( his usual amount of urine).
You have to give him oral electrolyte salt solutions like pedialyte.
Calpol is given only if there is fever.
If you can not get over the counter electrolytes in your place, then it is preferable to show him to the pediatrician. They can also assess whether he is well hydrated as you mention that he is weary and lethargic sometimes.
All the best
God bless