Child having itchy skin rashes like bumps on the whole body and tongue. What is the treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 2 year 10 month old son got some skin problem, its like chicken skin almost all his body ,even tongue, except few places. We don't know what it is. Its itchy sometimes for him. what is it and how to treat? should we rush to doctor? Not much any other symptoms we see, except being itchy at some places. This rash like bumps appears on face, neck, stomach, hands, little on butt. today we saw on tounge too.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
From your description it seems that your child is suffering from keratosis pilaris.
It is a common benign skin condition mostly associated with a dry skin.
In most of the cases it is self limiting and improves with age.
General measures to prevent excessive skin dryness, such as using mild soapless cleansers, are recommended.

Frequent skin lubrication is the mainstay of treatment for nearly all cases. However you are using all the available over the counter moisturizers and anti itch lotions. If this does not help it suggests a doctor evaluation by his regular pediatrician.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Child having itchy skin rashes like bumps on the whole body and tongue. What is the treatment? 5 hours later

Thank you for answer. When i googled it, it looks like that only. How ever, i have one more question. Can it come on tounge too? I didn't see anywhere mentioning tounge.
And the sand paper like chicken skin is more on neck but he doesn't feel itchy there.
He feels itchy in some other places , thought the problem is there almost all upper body. very less on lowerbody. This is for your info. Did you check the image i attached? It will be more clear if zoomed.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Yes, I checked the image and after seeing the image only i suggested the probable diagnosis. The affection of tongue can also be an associated symptom. Itching is not always associated all the time. Do not worry. Simple skin care will help in his improvement.
Hope my answer is helpful.