Child having high fever. Not getting cured by medicine. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my 5 year old nephew has fever like 103+ degree from last 3 days , so we talk to doc , doc advice for crocine DS , ondem ZEDEX, monocef, and for more fever meftal p and yesterday they check blood test and she found TLC is 0000 and ESR is 30 , mchc is 38.3 ,so doc says he has infection and ,and today doc advice some more medicine taxim-o, aimol & alreid , AZEE200 syrup ,and me we already gave 2 times that syrup but i did not get any good result , fever is same like before 102 or 103 , i just want to know wht i do for that any thing other i have to do
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 46 minutes later
To begin with I have some questions for you to narrow down the diagnosis.
1-Does he have cold,cough,vomiting or any other symptoms?
2-where do you live? Because the cause of fever depends on your location.
The child needs some blood tests for malaria,dengue,typhoid immediately.
Regarding fever medicines ,you can give him paracetamol syrup every 4-6,hrs. In between if there is fever still,you can give meftal or ibugesic after food( not on empty stomach).
Also you can do tepid sponging which is as follows.
Keep a basin of tapwater-soak some small towels in this water-wrap the towels around both legs and arms and forehead and keep repeating this till temp comes down to99 deg F)
Regarding antibiotics you have already given too many!!!
Give also extra fluids like juices, water,etc.
Please send me the answers to my question.
All the best
Good luck
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child having high fever. Not getting cured by medicine. What should I do? 35 minutes later
Hi Doc,

Thnx for ur reply
as for as ur question
1:- today he feel little bit cough , and he vomit 2 times in morning after eating meal,
some times he feel cold also
2: we live in delhi ncr, so our doc already take blood test for malaria and dengue , and she did not found any symptoms for dengue and malaria, but found TLC is 0000 and ESR is 30 , mchc is 38.3

she check hemoglobin also and it is 11.9

actually some time temp was down but after 2 or 3 hour its again start and going to till 103 degree , and again after 1 hour its start to go down . its like up and down , our doc says use maftal when he feel high temp, she says its infection and its take time , but he is just a kid , thats why we r worry please help me out
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 17 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback.
I understand your concern very well!
Unfortunately these diseases like dengue may mimic viral fever.
Dengue may present with fever,rash,pain behind the eyes,etc.
Anyway we will wait for the results.
The count of 0000 is high.
How many neutrophils and how many lymphocytes in %(it will be there in the report).This will show whether it is viral or bacterial infection. Also test for typhoid is needed.
Don't worry Ravi!
By God's grace she will recover fast.
Continue the antibiotics and fever medicines. And do sponging as I described.
Give fluids,juices,tender coconut water, etc.
Don't force food!
You have medicine for vomiting( ondem).
GOD bless
All the best
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child having high fever. Not getting cured by medicine. What should I do? 22 minutes later

Hi Doc
my nephew is only suffering with fever , he dont have any pain , or any rash on body

i check his blood test report i foun this things may be its help you

neutrophils 73%
lymphocytes 21%
eosinophil 4
monocytes 2
besophil 0
esr 30
rbc 4.28
hct 31.0
mcb 72.6
mch 27.8
mchc 38.3
plt 288

serology for ns1 negative
m.p.antigen negative

this is the report

and this is the medicine which one he is using now taxim-o, aimol & alreid , AZEE200 syrup and after high fever we use meftal

hope it will help u , and please tell me this medicine is goo dfor him or not

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Neutrophils 73% is suggestive of bacterial infection for which he is on antibiotic already that too quite strong ones.
Dengue and malaria tests are negative.
For Typhoid , the widal test, they can do only after a week of fever - it takes time to become positive.
Continue the same antibiotics.
Maintain temp chart every 6 hrs and show to your doctor.
He should improve soon.
Do not worry.
God bless
Dr Uma