Child having fever, vomiting, inconsolable crying. Have had tubes placed in ears. Suggest?

I have a 1 year old that has had a fever of over 101.9, vomiting, inconsolable crying and little eating for over 6 months. I have had tubes placed in her ears, and in to see the MD almost every week, and they cannot figure out what's wrong. I am scared.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 46 minutes later
Thanks for your query to healthcare

Your history probably suggests that your baby is having otitis media, which is infection of middle ear common in children of her age group, since it's recurrent she has been treated with a tympanostomy tube to drain the fluid in middle ear that is causing infections and the tube helps to equalize pressure both ears. The fever, vomiting and crying are all due to the ear infection .

Usually children respond to the tympanostomy tube treatment along with antibiotics and pain killers and the infection frequency reduces. Since your child is still not responding i would suggest you request your doctor to do a culture of the fluid drained from her ear so that we can start appropriate antibiotic by knowing the exact organism causing infections, because sometimes other than bacteria even viruses causes ear infection and in such cases antibiotics won't help.
Also avoid bottle feeding in lying down position, close contact with people having cold,allergens etc. Also pnemmococcal vaccination reduces the risk of frequent infection.

Hope the info was useful.I'm happy to answer any further queries.if no kindly close the query and rate it
Take care,
Assistant professor -pediatricis