Child having fever and pain in legs. What could be causing this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my 5 yr old is complaining his legs hurt and wont walk on them. He also has a fever of 102. I gave him childrens motrin for the fever but I do not see any scrapes or bites on his legs that would be the cause of pain.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 44 minutes later
Fever with leg pains are commonly seen in viral infections (especially dengue ).It can also occur in infections or inflammations causing musculoskeletal pain which is commonly perceived in the lower limbs in children.
Since its severe enough to cause him inability to walk then it's advisable to get him evaluated by his pediatrician .The doctor after thorough examination and tests if needed( like blood counts, ESR , serum calcium ,CPK enzyme levels etc) come to the exact diagnosis and start appropriate treatment . Most of the viral infections are self limiting and resolve in a week with or without supportive therapy . However your doctor might prescribe a course of antibiotics if a bacterial infection is suspected. So please do get your child evaluated if his symptoms worsen or persist even after 24-48 hours.Meanwhile you can give him prescription strength analgesics ( Motrin etc) thrice a day for the pain and fever.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.