Child having bump inside nostrils. Heel prick test normal. What could be this?

Hi, I've noticed a few days ago that my 2.5 year old daughter seems to have a "bump" inside her right nostril. This is pink in colour & fairly large and I think getting in the way of her getting air though that nostril. I panicked when I read about nasal polyps in children due to the link with cystic fibrosis, but she doesn't have sent of the other classic symptoms at all- she is not a small child & puts on weight daily, she doesn't have "salty skin" or club fingers and is not constipated or have strange smelling stool. She also had the heel prick test in hospital and it was clear. In talking to my mum, she reminded me that I had a large mole on on my right nostril ( outside) and I had this removed as a child. Is it possible that my daughter could have a similar mole inside her nostril?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Since she had screening in hospital, it is unlikely that she has cystic fibrosis.
As you stated it can be a nasal polyp . The exact cause of nasal polyps is unknown but it is thought to be related to long standing inflammation. These polyps are usually benign (non cancerous).
They would be treated first by use of a nasal spray ,this can actually shrink them in some persons. If they do not respond to the spray then they can be surgically removed.

Cancer of the nasal passages and sinuses are rare.

It is also possible, as you mentioned that it may be a mole similar to what you had as a child.

You should consider taking her to an ENT doctor who can examine her and determine exactly what it is and therefore initiate appropriate treatment.

She should be ok.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Child having bump inside nostrils. Heel prick test normal. What could be this? 16 hours later
Thanks for this. I did some more online research last night and learnt that the nasal turbinates can also be enlarged in some people. Having a look at the images of enlarged inferior turbulates on google and what my daughter has, it looks a lot more like this.

I will take her to a paediatric ENT, but in the meantime, do you know if surgery is always the best option her. As she is only 2.5, I am a little fearful of general anaesthetic. if possible, and the ENT says there is nothing sinister anout this, should I wait before making a decision on this as she is not bothered by it at all.

If it is this, do the turbulates grow even more or will this be as large as it gets? Is there anything I can do to reduce it naturally?
Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
It is unlikely that surgery would be the initial option.Enlarged turbinates also most likely occur as a result of inflammation and the first option would be medication to reduce the inflammation.

If this option is not effective and surgery is necessary then it is important to remember that with present anesthetic and surgery techniques , risk has been minimalized significantly and she should be ok.

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Child having bump inside nostrils. Heel prick test normal. What could be this? 9 hours later
Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
You are welcome, wish you the best