Child has started fondling her breast. Could this be due to insecurity?

I have a 5yr old great-granddaughter who fondles her breast when looking at tv, playing on the computer or just sitting still could this be due to insecurity, she has a 2yr old sibling
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 39 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I understand your concern.
This is a passive phenonmenon that gives psychological relief to the child.
This is continuation of attachment to the breast after breast feeding has been stopped. Though embarassing but it actually gives a sense of attachment and has a pacifying effect on the child.
It can be a sense of insecurity.
Sit with the child and explain her to slowly get rid of her habit.Do not scold her.Reward her if she stops doing that.
If the problem persists then talk to a child psychologist.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.