Child has nasal block, breathing through mouth, used nasoclear liquid. Side effect of mouth breathing?

ENT Specialist
My daughter is born on 1-1-2011. Since around 3/4 months she has nasal block most of the time. while sleeping she respire on mouth. Is there any side effect of respering on mouth. I used nesoclear liquid, but not effective. Please suggest any solution for her.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through the description, I am of the opinion that she is having enlarged adenoids.

Adenoid is one of the lymphatic tissues present in the back of the nose. Enlarged adenoids may be a natural occurrence, it is noticed when the child is born. Long-term inflammation can also lead to enlarged adenoids which lead to blockage of nose and cause recurrent nasal infection. The adenoids normally shrink as a child grows older, but in certain individuals the enlargement is so much that it causes complete blockage of the nose leading to various other symptoms such as mouth breathing, recurrent cold, snoring, fever, etc.

The adenoid enlargement can be confirmed with the x-ray of nasopharynx. If the enlargement is blocking the pharyngeal space completely, then surgery is the treatment of choice. The surgery is recommended only after the child becomes 2 years.

If the child is respiring through the mouth, there will be dryness of the oral cavity, leading to foul smell, recurrent throat pain and infection.

In the present situation she will require saline nasal spray (nasoclear) only. You can use it for 3-4 times a day for any number of days, it is just plain salt water and there are no side effects of this medicine. There are no other medicines which can be prescribed at this age. Also give your child lots of warm water to drink. Change her pillow cover every night before going bed; avoid making her sleep under the fan or in front of the blower of the air conditioner. With these above measures she will improve.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon