Child has had bad cold and loss of appetite with loose stools. What to do?

My daughter is one and has had a bad cold the past 3-4 days. She is very congested, and has had a loss of appetite. She eats very minimal to what she usually has. She spits up her bottles, but runs no fever. She's still very active and happy, but she is also having loose stools almost like diarrhea. Concerned the congestion could develop into something to be of more concern
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that you should see a peadiatrician immediately as in my opinion your daughter can be suffering from atypical viral infection which can lead to both congestion and loose stools . A regular check up with CBC, ESR , CRP , Chest X ray , stool r/m will be required for making a diagnosis and finding out whether the two complaints are related or not . Absence of fever favours viral infection . I think you should see a doctor early for this . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Child has had bad cold and loss of appetite with loose stools. What to do? 35 minutes later
I've taken her to a doctor before n she was diagnosed with a viral infection and they sent us home with some tips on how to comfort them because apparently nothing can be done about a viral infection other than comfort is this right?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow . Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Yes its partly true if your doctor has already seen the child , he must have assessed the situation and guided you accordingly. Sometimes bacterial infection occurs with viral then we have to intervene . So if the condition is worsening you need to take her to doctor otherwise she will recover , just keep a close watch on her . Take care. Dr. Shruti