Child has fever, bad breath, white spots on tongue and swollen posterior lymph nodes. Took antibiotic

Sep 2012

My 6 year old has been running fever for about 4 days of. 99-100.7...Wednesday night I noticed his posterior lymph nodes are very very swollen on both sides of his neck....he started having bad breath Thursday even after brushing his teeth....looks like white spots on his tongue...he has been on antibiotic or 3 days and there has been no change
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 35 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description sounds like an infection. The bad breath may occur due to an infection in the gingiva or adenoids or tonsil. Another possibility is presence of nasal polyps. typhoid. In any infective condition, the lymph node can be found.

To come to a definite diagnosis, he has to be examined thoroughly. It would be better to take him to an ENT specialist. Because, his mouth, throat, and nose are to be searched for possible source of infection. Widal test and other serological tests should be considered to rule out typhoid, if clinically suspected.

As you have told, he is on antibiotic, let him to complete the course of antibiotic. If the lymph nodes are palpable even after completion of antibiotics, consult with his treating doctor about a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) form the lymph nodes. And most importantly, a detailed clinical examination for search of hepatosplenomegally should be considered.

For fever, give him paracetamol group of drug.

So, in brief, you have to consult with an ENT specialist first. Then wait for completion of course of antibiotic. Then consult with a pediatrician about the points i have mentioned previously.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.