Child has been having abdominal pain. X-ray showed cyst on left ovary and leakage adjacent for adjacent fluid

Excellent
Question
My daughter is 13 and has been having abdominal pain for about 6 weeks now. We have just had a ultrasound done which shows a 3cm cyst on her left ovary and perhaps a little leakage adjacent for adjacent fluid... Is this anything to be concerned about.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 18 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for the asking the query on XXXXXXX

You have not mentioned anything about your daughter's menstrual status.Still, on the basis of information you provided, I can say that it is most probably a simple ovarian cyst.Pain may be due to leakage of fluid.

The size, you mentioned, is so small that you need not to intervene at this stage.Usually, these cysts resolve by themselves in a few months. But, you should keep a close watch on its size with the help of monthly ultrasound. In case it increases or there is sign of any complication, then you will have to take appropriate treatment.By that time,you can give her some mild analgesics for pain relief.

Good Luck.
Hope this information is helpful and informative to you.
If you had any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Child has been having abdominal pain. X-ray showed cyst on left ovary and leakage adjacent for adjacent fluid 18 minutes later
thanks for getting back to me.. her menstrual cycle is normally on time.. she is very heavy with her period and becomes term pale and lethargic. she can normally handlea pain and when she asks for pain relief thats when I know its bad. and she has been asking a lot...
s
he is quite an active girl and this pain seems to be strong enough to stop her from doing things she enjoys.
sh.e claims it is a stabbing pain which travels from the left to right..

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 11 hours later

Usually, periods may be heavy and irregular in early years after menarche. This may or may not be related to cyst.

Excessive pain in ovarian cyst indicates towards some complication like infection and torsion. Although they have least possibility at such a young age and with such a small cyst, we cannot rule out without complete USG with color Doppler report.

Also, I want to mention that there may be some non-gynecological cause of this pain and cyst may not be responsible for such an acute pain.There may be some pathology in intestine or urological system.So, you should get a ultrasound done again to see these structures also.

If you have any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW