Child had head injury, headache, tingling arms and feet, seeing red haze when looking at light

my 9 yr old daughter has just fallen hard in shower and hit her head on left side towards back above ear. She claims when she looks toward light everything under light appears to be red or has red haze, she also has headache and is complaining of tingling in her arms and feet. She hit her head on shower wall as she was falling and on ground when she fell.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand that your daughter's trauma has got you concerned.

Looking at those symptoms of vision difficulty and nervous involvement with that head injury - I advise you to get a clinical examination done immediately.

Not of any serious thing, but the arms and feet sensations usually are caused by injuries on the upper cervical spinal region and not the head. So, this would need an expert's view before anything else.

She may not need long term medications, but may have to undergo CT if needed.

Watch out and seek medical help, in case she vomits/faints or any other symptom and inform your doctor.

Meanwhile lie her down, and do not make her stand. And tie a cloth around the eyes till you get to a doctor, so that she is not terrified of that altered vision.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.