Child got hurt. Getting stomach pain and bruise. What should be done?

General Surgeon
I accidentally tripped and fell on my 6 year old daughter while roller skating last friday, I didn't think I put my full weight on her, she has been sore in her back since then. This morning she complained of her stomach hurting, I notice she has some light bruising on her back and right hip which I connected to the fall. The school nurse called and thinks my daughter may have a problem with her appendix even though she is not nauseous and she does not have a fever. I think the pain from our fall is just spreading to her hip. What do you think?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Typical appendicitis symptoms are: middle upper abdominal pain which after few hours migrates to the right lower abdomen, accelerated heart rate, pain in the right leg while walking, slightly elevated body temperature, nausea and vomiting. But this is just theory and every appendicitis is different as every person is different. So it might be very hard to tell the difference between appendicitis and muscles trauma in this area. Moreover, recent trauma could cause some abdominal organs injury.
That is why I suggest you to do not neglect such symptoms and have it checked to be 100% sure that appendicitis wont be missed. Your daughter should have abdominal ultrasound, urine analysis and blood work performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.