Ask a Dentist   »  

Child got hit on gums. Gums turn purple with white dot. What could this be?

Hello, My 16 month old toddler fell and hit her gum on the corner of a cabinet. It bled but stopped bleeding shortly after. She has acted normal and not showing any signs of pain since the initial impact. Part of the gum has a horizontal purple/blue line over a couple of the teeth. What concerns me is that there is a white line running vertically down the gum. I had initially saw a white dot near or at the sight of impact. It is whiter than her teeth (more pearl like in color). Today (three days after injury) it is now the vertical line. She does not yet have a tooth in this spot. Question - what could this be?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later

I was able to view the pictures attached. The affected area seems to reveal an inflamed pathology. Abscess containing pus and blood is most likely. Following a direct hit, the tooth has undergone traumatic changes resulting in a swelling adjacent to the tooth. When not treated early, abscess can follow. The white line is the healing tissue which is formed as a normal defensive mechanism of the body.

I will advise you to see a Pedodontist as the swelling needs to be drained to avoid infection from spreading further.

Do not worry, your dentist will take an X-ray of the tooth (to rule out tooth fracture) and prescribe antibiotic syrup for your daughter.

Kindly avoid application of hot compresses over the swelling; Ice packs can be helpful though.

I hope this answer was useful. If you have any further queries, kindly write back.