Child falling sick frequently. Having fever and mild cold symptoms. Blood work shows nothing

Feb 2013

Our 28 month old has a very serious problem with being sick all the time. She can only seem to go about two or three weeks without getting sick. It starts with a fever, then a few days in to it, she will get mild cold symptoms. The fever will continue to spike upwards of 104 to 106, she will get to the point she acts like she is having a mild seizure but not full blown. She has had pnuemonia, been hospitalized. She gets well, then within a few weeks, she gets sick again. She is a very small child, but well developed and very intelligent. (Her 6 year old sister is small for her age also). Routine blood work shows nothing, but I want to find out why she can't remain healthy. She does not go to day care and the other family members only have occasional illness. The fevers and cold symptoms recurring every few weeks have been going on since she was about 6 months old. She has had steriod breathing treatments, antibiotics, but she continues to be sick. Any ideas.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
frequent infections are common in some children

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In children below the age of 6 years, the infections with viruses and bacteria are more common due to which they become sick frequently.

As age increases they become ressistant to these infections because they will get immunity against these common pathogens.

During high grade fever, there is a chance to get seizures in some children which is known as febrile seizures. This seizures will occur whenever there is fever till the age of 5 years.

If the fever is controlled with paracetamol, tepid sponging, and use of medication such as clobazam for shorter duration during any fever illness will prevent further episodes of seizures.

As blood work is normal nothing to worry. If needed go for some basic investigations to look for any underlying cause after the advice from her Pediatrician.

But take some of the following precautions as a measure to prevent some of the common infections.

1. Maintain her hands hygiene by frequent hand wash.

2. Avoid the child taking into crowded places to prevent the child exposing to people with
cold, cough, and rerespiratory infections.

3. Prevent the child exposure to dust, smoke, pollution, pollem, pet animals, and plants.

4. Give her all recommended vaccinations as per the advice of Pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Child falling sick frequently. Having fever and mild cold symptoms. Blood work shows nothing 4 minutes later
My concern is that it is/is not "common" for the incidence of illness to be so frequent. Could she have a deficiency of some sort. Back in the day, my little sister experienced the same type of symptoms and was discoverd she had low gamoglobulin. Our community is small with limitied pediactric care and I want to make sure we are covering our bases with what to ask our doctor.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluate her thoroughly with investigations.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

She needs a complete and thorough review of her past and medical history about her past hospitalization, pattern of infections, investigations, and response to treatment.

A complete physical and clinical examination by to be conducted by a pediatrician after reviewing her medical history to look for any abnormal findings to look for any predisposing factors which are leading to her recurrent sickness.

Basic investigations like complete blood picture, absolute neutrophil count, sedimentation rate, serum immunoglobulin levels (in view of positive history of low immunoglobulin levels in close relative), and special tests like estimation of specific immunoglobulin levels to be carried out with the advice of pediatrician depending on physical examination to screen for any underlying immunodeficiency.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician to discuss your concerns about her frequent illnesses and to evaluate for any underlying predisposing problem with investigations.