Child bitten by dog. Given vaxirab. What could be the future risk?

Nov 2013

My son was bitten by a dog and on the advice of a hospital we have started VAXIRAB (ZYDUS)The first dose was given at a full fledged hospital by a nurse on 20th April; the second dose was given today by a Paediatrician near our house; however the vaccine was opened and mixed and made ready for injection by a boy in the clinic. Seeing the way he did the job, I enquired from the Doctor, if he was a trained nurse. The doctor administered the injection and informed, that she was training him and that he was not a nurse. Now , my worry is suppose he has not done the preparation correctly,(1) is my son at risk (2) should I retake the second dose again tomorrow
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting the query.

I can understand your concern. However, I would like to point out that there is little chance of making a mistake in dilution and mixing. The only thing to watch is whether it was done hygienically and was there any scope of infection?

The important step here is the administration of injection, which according to you, was done by the doctor herself.

So, at this stage, I do not see any reason to repeat the second dose of the vaccine.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Child bitten by dog. Given vaxirab. What could be the future risk? 10 minutes later
I am going in for a 5 course injection, 0,3,7,14 and 28.I don't think that there was a hygiene issue; but it seemed to me that maybe a little portion may not have been mixed or pulled fully into the needle. My question actually is -(1) DOES IT MATTER IF A LESSER QUANTITY WAS INJECTED (2)SHOULD I GO IN FOR ANOTHER DOSE ASSUMING LESSER QUANTITY WAS INDEED INJECTED (3) IS THERE ANY DANGER OF OVERDOSE IF REPEATED(4) THE FIRST INJECTION ON 20TH WAS TAKEN AT 7 PM , WILL ANOTHER DOSE , IF REQUIRED BE STILL EFFECTIVE IF TAKEN IN THE MORNING TOMORROW . Sir, Nothing matters , I am ready to go in for another injection if required .
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

Regarding your specific queries, here are my replies:

1. If the lesser quantity was little bit (0.1-0.3 ml), it does not matter.

2. If the lesser quantity injected was less than 0.5 ml (the normal dose is 1 ml), then you can go for repeat injection tomorrow,

3. There is no risk of overdosage, as it is not a live vaccine,

4. This dose would still be efective, as it takes 7-10 days for the full antibody reponse to develop.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)