Child birth, post pardum hemmorhage, abnormal periods. Sonogram shows uneven endometrium, PCOS. Causes for abnormal bleeding?

Hi- I am 34 years old and gave natural birth last september. I had a retained placenta, post pardum hemmorhage and ever since have had abnormal heavy periods. I was prescribed Ibprophen 800 for the bleeding every month, it is working but the bleeding is still crazy heavy- changing super extra absorbancy tampons on the hour. I had a sonogram 3 months after the birth and it showed an uneven endometrium lining that was Febuary this year. I am also on Metaformin for the metabolic syndrome of PCOS, no cycts on ovaries since birth, just being treated for the metabolic disorder, I am not sure if Metaformin has any relevance with the bleeding. Thanks
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

No, metformin has no reported side effects of bleeding anywhere in the body or menstrual disturbances whatsoever. As with levo-thyroxine.

I would suggest you to talk to your obstetrician for options for your case. Many options like superficial ablation, laser therapy exist for bleeding not controlled with drugs too. So, the order of treatment would be decided appropriately based on the complete findings of your uterus.

Ibuprofen- I must admit is a drug though useful for pain, is a cause for gastric bleeding. So you do have something going on there - if true you would need a review for alternate medication for the pain.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Child birth, post pardum hemmorhage, abnormal periods. Sonogram shows uneven endometrium, PCOS. Causes for abnormal bleeding? 11 hours later
what about the uneven endometrium? does that have something to do with excessive bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 9 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

The sonography findings of the uterine endometrium in your case, are consistent with bleeding. Usually an underlying cause has to produce these changes in the uterus for the bleeding to happen.

I cannot comment on the cause of your bleeding as a clinical examination has to correlated with many other tests. I ruled out the causes I could see in your history for the moment.