Chest x-ray, blood test and urine test normal. Getting vomit sensation if food is not taken. Reason?

Poor

Endocrinologist
Question
I RECENTLY CHECKED MY BLOOD AND URINE AND EVENGOT AN X XXXXXXX OF MY CHEST AREA BUT ALL THE REPORTS WERE NEGATIVE AND NORMAL. THE THING IS I HAVE A SEVERE COUGH SINCE MORE THAN 3 YEARS AND THE COUGH INCREASES IN THE EARLY MORNINGS AND AFTER THE INTAKE OF FOOD. IN THE MORNINGS IF I HAVEN'T TAKEN FOOD THEN IT WOULD LEAD TO VOMITING OF SOME YELLOW TYPE THING.
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

A condition called Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) in which the acid contents of stomach regurgitate back to the food pipe and into your oropharynx can often lead to long standing cough without any other cause. Also sometimes an early onset of Asthma can also lead to such a type of long standing cough.

I would advice you to get done a Pulmonary function test (PFT) to rule out asthma. Remember when you get your PFT done ask them to recheck after taking 2 puffs of bronchodilators. This will rule out or confirm asthma.

If PFT is normal we can start you on medications called proton pump inhibitors for 3-6 months (A local doctor can prescribe you the same).

Hope this has been helpful.

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD