Chest whistle when breath especially in cold weather. Is it asthma?

Rheumatologist
Question
General Question About Health
I dont have medical record because in my country no such things. I think i have asthma because my chest whistle when i breath especially when weather is cold
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

Well the question you are asking is not clear but still what you have given in your medical history suggests that you are worried about your chest problems . Asthma is characterized by recurrent episodes of wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and coughing . Since you are just 25 years it is a possibility that whistling in chest what you hear is wheeze . You haven't mentioned that you got these symptoms from which age , are these recurrent and other important thing is whether you smoke.

I want you to see a pulmonologist , get your Chest X XXXXXXX , Pulmonary function tests and other routine test to ascertain the cause of wheezing and then start the treatment appropriately . And you should avoid smoking , going in dusty environment , start practicing yoga exercises to increase the lung capacities for your overall health.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.
.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Chest whistle when breath especially in cold weather. Is it asthma? 41 minutes later
Have never smoked and and i don't drink, i don't have a medical history, have done a test and its not tuberculosis and i wasn't told its asthma. I think its asthma because my dad has and its inheritable also when i cant breath properly inhaler do work effectively. Sometimes i go for 6months without inhaler. In addition, when i take a deep breath I feel sharp pains in my left ribs, i also feel pain on my kneels when i climbs stairs, there was a day i felt my kneel cap is going to remove from my leg but i used kneel guard. I also have a running nose as i speak and my cater never go away. Sorry but i'm trying to compound all my problems. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 13 hours later
Hi.

One good thing is that you have never smoked but that doesn’t rule out asthma or COPD . It will be very difficult to say anything just on the basis of history. Since you give history of running nose probably you can have an allergic etiology for your problems like say allergic rhinitis and allergic bronchitis. But until and unless you are properly evaluated nothing can be said and all are mere assumptions. As I have said earlier consult a pulmonologist who will conduct a Chest X-ray and pulmonary function tests, their reversibility on inhalers and can then assess you .

At such young age knee pain is unlikely . As you mention that your knee cap is causing some problem I would like you to consult an orthopaedicain for the same because it can be injury related and X XXXXXXX knee needs to be done before saying anything.

Thank you .

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Shruti