Chest pain, tightness, anxiety, high resting heart rate. Should I visit a cardiologist?

Cardiologist, Interventional
My resting heart rate is always around 100, when I get up to walk to the fridge it hits 140... I also get cold hands and feet and fatigue.. Today I did some jumping jacks to test and my pulse was around 160. My blood pressure ranges from 105/70 - 125/85. I'm 27 years old should I see a cardiologist and what tests should I have him do. I also get occasional chest pain and chest tightness but my doc keeps telling me it's just anxiety... I'm starting to get really fed up with this!
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 8 hours later
If your symptoms have been present for quite some time, then you do have need to see both a physician and cardiologist.

As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:

1. First of all before you doctor attributed this to anxiety what tests did he/she do?
If all the basic test are done and still you have this problem, then we will have to label you as a case of inappropriate sinus tachycardia. This is not a XXXXXXX condition and would need treatment only if you have troublesome symptoms.

The basic tests you need to get done are ECG (Electrocardiogram), Echocardiogram (2D echocardiogram) and Thyroid function tests. If there is any abnormality in these tests, you would need further tests.

Awaiting your reply.