Chest pain, sore throat, ear ache, headache. Taken antibiotic. X-rays and CT scan normal. How to get rid of it?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
My name is XXXXXX, I'm 23 years old and am completing my honours year at uni! I've had flu symptoms for over 2 months and I desperately want to get better. I have chest pains, a chronic sore throat, ear aches and a constant headache. The doctor I've been seeing has helped me as much as he could. After prescribing 3 courses of antibiotics, he had sent me for xrays and a CT scan of my sinuses and although it came back with a inflammation on my right cheek, he says it's all 'normal'. I want to know how to get rid of the chest pains (sharp pains usually occur on my left side, but there are constant pains in the middle of my chest. My throat feels itchy and my ears sting, my head throbs and it feels like I'm carrying around a XXXXXXX on top of my head. Any help would be most appreciated!
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through the history, I am of the opinion that you could be suffering from sinusitis and acid reflux disease.

The sensation of pressure inside the head, pain over the cheeks and cough are all related to sinusitis. With the brief history you have mentioned and the normal CT scan result, I presume that you might be having anatomical nasal block, which is causing negative pressure behind the obstruction and hence the symptoms. If you can mail me the exact findings of the CT scan or the images, I will be able to help you in a better way.

Regarding chest pain, it could be reflux of the acid from the stomach into the throat which irritates the esophagus and throat as it regurgitates above. This can be secondary to the stress or the medicines you have taken.

You need follow the advice below to get rid of sinusitis and acid reflux:

1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the headache.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled/hot beverages/alcohol/smoking if any.
4. Try taking mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus.
5. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for throat pain and headache.
6. Proton pump inhibitors (Esomeprazole or Pantoperazole) can be tried which will help in reducing the production of the acid in the stomach.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Chest pain, sore throat, ear ache, headache. Taken antibiotic. X-rays and CT scan normal. How to get rid of it? 3 hours later
Thank you, that is so helpful!

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the drowsiness? And where might I be able to buy the proton pump inhibitors?

I'm unable to send you the CT scans, as I live in Australia and I believe you're in the US? Is there any way I can reduce the ear aches?

Thank you again!

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Q: Is there anything I can do to get rid of the drowsiness?
A: If you are taking any antihistaminic or benadryl syrup, it has to be stopped first. If you are not on any of the above medicines then the nasal block could be deriving the brain with its share of oxygen causing cerebral anoxia.

Q: And where might I be able to buy the proton pump inhibitors?
A: You can check out with your pharmacist whether you will be able to get with over the counter, if not you will have to take a prescription from your doctor.

Q: I'm unable to send you the CT scans, as I live in Australia and I believe you're in the US?
A: You can request your doctor to give you a soft copy of the CT scan wherein the images can be mailed to me. I do stay and practice in Sultanate of Oman.

Q: Is there any way I can reduce the ear aches?
A: You can follow the advice as mentioned in my previous response, you will be better off with the pain.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Chest pain, sore throat, ear ache, headache. Taken antibiotic. X-rays and CT scan normal. How to get rid of it? 19 hours later
Thank you again.

One last question, are these conditions contagious? My partner is complaining of similar symptoms so I thought it might be?

Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 40 minutes later
Hi

Welcome back

The initial stages of viral infection could be contagious. But once the bacterial infection sets in then it might not become contagious.

Secondly, look for any triggerers of allergy and infection such as dust, pollen, fungus in the house, etc. and try to get rid of that.

I wish you both good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon