Chest pain and back pain while swallowing. Had upper endoscopy. Is that normal?

Hi, I had an upper endoscopy yesterday and I am feeling pain in my chest and upper back when I swallow something. Is that normal?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 16 minutes later

As you must have experienced during upper G.I. Scopy, a fiber optic scope is passed through mouth in to stomach.

This is normally done under sedation and during procedure there are chances of some friction at some point and small brushing of normal mucosa of esophagus. This can lead to pain while the food passes through can causing friction.

Another reason could be the problem like gas, acidity, etc.

Take soft diet for couple of days, drink plenty of fluids and continue the medicines if prescribed any.

Simple analgesic like Tylenol can also help.

In case the pain does not subside or cause more of discomfort, then you need to talk to your doctor and talk to him for further advice.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.