Chest, neck, arms, hand trembling, muscle fatigue, soreness

I am 50, 5'11" amd 180lbs, currently on no meds and I have been feeling silent trembling from my chest to my neck and arms but hasn't been visible until 3 days ago and I did strenous work with my arms. Since that time, my right hand slightly shakes and the muscle feels fatigued in the right forearm and some muscles in it feel slightly sore. I notice more trembling when laying down at night than when I am moving. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

The trembling in the arms can be due to the effect of stress, fatigue, anger, fear, caffeine and cigarettes. In old age these are more commonly seen.
In these cases, avoiding caffeine, relaxing , having a good night's sleep and taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen usually helps in treating the tremors.

If after eliminating all these causes, still there are tremors then some disease conditions need to be ruled under the guidance of your physician like-
Brain, nerve or movement disorders, peripheral neuropathies, alcoholism, alcohol withdrawal, low blood sugar, overactive thyroid, parkinson's disease, etc. It can be caused by some medicines also but currently you are not taking any.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Chest, neck, arms, hand trembling, muscle fatigue, soreness 2 hours later
Can you explain possible reasons why the tremors are more prevalent at rest than any other time?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

You are having resting tremors- those seen during the rest.
Resting tremor occurs when the muscle is relaxed, such as when the hands are lying on the lap or hanging next to the trunk while standing or walking. It may be seen as a shaking of the limb, even when the person is at rest. Often, the tremor affects only the hand or fingers. This type of tremor is often seen in patients with Parkinson’s disease.

It is a type of tremors and I have already told the diseases you need to exclude with the help of your treating physician.

Another type of tremors are seen when you try to do some work. Both are different diseases and have different reasons.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Chest, neck, arms, hand trembling, muscle fatigue, soreness 42 minutes later
So if what I have generally radiates from the chest to the neck down the arms and hands (most often never visibly noticed), is that less likely to be serious and can it be related to my adrenal fatigue issue or the opposite?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The seriousness of symptoms can only be commented after you know the cause. You need to find the cause first, then only the treatment options or prognosis can be suggested.

These symptoms can be due to electrolyte imbalance arising due to adrenal fatigue which again needs some blood tests to rule out.

Hope I have answered your query.