Chapped lips, flaky skin, blisters, red marks, numbness, neosporin treatment

My lips were chapped and I was biting my lip and touching it to remove the flaky skin. The next morning I had a blister on my lip. I put Neosporin on and it burned and tingled. The blister went away in a day, but two weeks later, I still have a red XXXXXXX and it has numbness and tingling. Should I be worried? Is it just and infection? My grandfater passed away from lip cancer so I am concerned.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 44 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

The blister you developed is no doubt an infection probably bacterial , And the treatment of it with Neosporin supports the fact well.

The area of the lips and the oral cavity is covered with mucous membrane which have capabilities of faster healing , the healing process involves laying up of a new skin ( mucous membrane) layer along with new nerve endings which are the reason for the tingling sensation and numbness . The redness is due to the new skin or due to the scar tissue , both of which are normal.

I shall conclude saying that you may not worry at al.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.