have very dry lips. Use lots of lip balm. Lips covered when exposed to sun. What to do?

yes, i have in the past couple of weeks very dry lips- i just get them healed and they cracked again--the only thing new in my diet is soda water i use lots of lip balm --when i go out in the sun i usually have my lips covered
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hydration,vitamin supplements,avoid soda water,lip

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX

Usually dryness and small fissure/ cracks in lip occurs due to vitamin deficiency or due to dehydration as XXXXXXX cause or due to trauma, chemical injury as external causes. These are most common causes which occurs without any XXXXXXX problem or any other symptoms.

So since you are using more of carbonated/ soda water this can cause injury locally, i advice you to stop using it. Along with this you need to hydrate well and have nutritious diet like fruits, vegeables and liver. These will help in providing vitamins. You can take vitamin supplements also that are available as OTC drugs. While having food if your lip hurts then you can apply topical local anaesthetic agents like zytee/ dentogel. Apply vaselene lip gel / lip balm always to prevent dehydration. These measures will help you.

If this does not help then consult your doctor complete examination and to treat accordingly.

I hope this information is informative and helpful to you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answer kindly rate it and write a review.

Wish you happy life and good health.
Follow-up: have very dry lips. Use lots of lip balm. Lips covered when exposed to sun. What to do? 12 hours later
what about lip cancer--could this be a sign ?? i do mostly put a bandage over my lips--but i have sunburned them before....i try never to be out more than and 1 hour at a time--i do use protect on them or a bandage
thank u
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stop sodawater.protective measure.may not b cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for the followup query.

This may not be cancer, since you are using soda water you are not allowing it to heal completely. Stop soda water and follow all the above said measures, give rest to the lips for healing.
If you develop any abnormal growth or any mass or non healing ulcer even with all the measures then get examined by your doctor to rule out cancer. Even chronic irritation without allowing it to heal can turn into cancer. So follow all protective measures and get examined by your doctor just to rule out cancer (for your anxiety).

Hope this helps you.
Wish you good health.