Change in stool consistency. Have hemorrhoids. Chances of colon cancer?

The last two weeks my stool has been flat, as if it was cut on the way out. I am a 36 year old man and I have no family history of colon cancer. There is no blood in my stool, no weight loss, or loss of appetite. Should I be worried about cancer? I do have hemorrhoids that swell up a lot when I have a bowel movement. Could that be the cause?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Colonic cancer can be either sporadic - usually found in above 50 years of age or Familial - when it can occur even at an younger age. Most of the cancers develop fom a pre-existing polyp and hence oocur at an older age.

Change in caliber of the stool only says about reduced diameter of the exit pathway, especially the distal colon and the anal area. This can even occur if there are enlarged hemorrhoids or anal sphincter spasm.

Since you donot have any risk factor or signs of an active malignancy, The chance of you having a colonic cancer is very small.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have additional queries.