Cataract surgery, no peripheral vision, clouded eyes, sore, non smoker, over weight,

I had cataract surgery in both eyes 2 years ago. Since then I have almost no peripheral vision, my eyes are alway's cloudy. Sometimes to the point of them being completely clouded over. They are alway's sore and are NEVER clear. I am a 49 year old male non-smoker, no diabetis, no high blood pressure, and 40lbs overweight. My Dr. told me that I have huge eyes. And that the lenses don't completely cover my eyes(?) It is very frustrating
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

After cataract surgery cloudy is vision is seen due to oedema in the XXXXXXX eye causing cloudy vision but it usually clears up in 6 to 8 weeks.
Cloudy vision even after two years of surgery is most likely to be due to PCO (posterior capsular opacification).
During cataract surgery, the lens is broken up and removed from the capsule around it. Part of this capsule is left to house the new artificial lens (iol) being implanted during surgery. A secondary cataract or PCO is when this capsule becomes opacified and begins causing blurry vision.
It can be corrected with a laser procedure. A laser is used to break up the opacification. The procedure, called a laser capsulotomy, restores clear vision and is usually completely painless
You can discuss this with your surgeon and get it treated to restore your clear vision.
Huge eyes does not explain the blurring as we see from a very small hole in the eye called pupil and size of the eye does not affect the size of the pupil.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Cataract surgery, no peripheral vision, clouded eyes, sore, non smoker, over weight, 25 minutes later
I did have the secondary laser touch up. Which did nothing at all. I am afraid of how my eyesight has deteriorated. My vision is never clear. There are alway's floaters and the cloud or fog in my eyes sometimes get's so bad. That I almost cannot see anything.My eyes are constantly burning and sore. I'm sure it doesn't help that I am rubbing them all the time. There has to be something else that can be done.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If the secondary laser touch up has not cleared your vision and there is constant burning in your eyes it seems that your eyes are inflamed. They need a careful examination by your surgeon to rule out any other ocular pathologies like vitreal haziness or retinal problems.
For chronic inflammation- antiinflammatory drugs, steroids and antibiotics- both topical and oral will help you.

Meanwhile avoid rubbing your eyes and wash them with water at least 6-10 times a day.

Wishing you an early recovery.