Cannabis smoking, psychosis, schizophrenia, depression, social anxiety, OCD

Confused over mental health!?

Hi im a 23 year old male,
My mind frame is always good
However for the past month ive been suffering from something that’s keeping my mind racing at 100mph.
I used to smoke cannabis occasionally for 2 years, I quit due to a few bad experiences. But in the past few months I had a few puffs and started feeling uneasy, paranoid/self conscious may have been a bad trip so now im done for good – I have no addiction to cannabis and only used to smoke it socially
My main concern is my mental health, on a quiet night alone in my room a month ago I had a strange feeling, my mind was racing so fast I wanted to just rip it out, I wasnt sweating or panicking but was just thinking about whats happening 2 me. I tried to get back to reality after that but I just cant shut off my brain – random thoughts about things ive said, past experiences, chatter and conversations in my own mind.
I try to control it but cant and feel insane because of it. It goes on all day and night.
For the past month ive done intense googling and research into mental health- for a self-diagnosis and feel worse as symptoms im feeling are similar to things like Psychosis,Schizophrenia, Depersonalization/Derealization, depression, social anxiety, OCD, bipolar and others. even cyberchondriac
Im constantly living in my mind or head and cant concentrate on the outside world with my racing thoughts and it makes me paranoid/self conscious because I cant act like my usual self infront of my friends/family. Who have said I look stressed and not really with it. Reality has become strange also i analyse people and everything, im feeling confused about everything. Im seeing a counselor soon for help.

My doc said its anxiety most likely due to a 2 year girlfriend breakup which happened the same day as my apparent panic attack.But I think my brains become too fast and now because of all the odd thoughts its gone too far ive started thinking like why am I laughing am i happy now? im aware of too much stuff.

Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 36 hours later

As you are seeking medical help on your own and have given me a good description of problem, the possibility of psychosis and schizophrenia is ruled out as a cause. This is so as the first symptom in these disorders is that the patient is no longer aware that he/she is ill.
The next possibility that needs to be considered is anxiety disorder. In anxiety disorder ( which is a broad term), the following common illnesses are included:
•     Generalized anxiety disorder
•     Phobia
•     Panic disorder
•     obsessive compulsive disorder appears to be the most appropriate diagnosis because of the following symptoms that you are currently experiencing: excessive thinking, difficulty in stopping thoughts, increase self awareness, difficulty concentrating because of excessive thought and the presence of insight regarding problem. Many times, more than one anxiety disorders can coexist like you have had a panic disorder once in the past.

Cannabis can itself cause an anxiety disorder. It can also increase the severity of pre-existing anxiety disorder. In both condition, you should stop using it.
I would suggest that you consult a psychiatrist to get your anxiety treated. For treatment, cognitive behaviour therapy and drug therapy are used.

In drug treatment, two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety, the benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief, most commonly selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy (instituted by a psychotherapist) also takes weeks to show its effect.

Apart from that, stopping the use of cannabis will also help in anxiety reduction.

Finally, I would like to reassure you that very effective treatment is available for your condition and you needn’t worry.

I hope this information will be both informative and helpful for you.