Can you please suggest me a morning-after pill?

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
There are dozens of brands of emergency contraceptive pills (also known as "orning after pills" or "day after pills") available around the world.
You can ask for Postinor 2 or Plan B one- step or next choice from your nearest pharmacist.
For, Plan B one-step, you must take 1 tablet as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you choose Next Choice, then you need to take the 2 pills together.
In case of Postinor-2, you need to take the first dose within 72 hours. The second dose needs to be taken after 12 hours. Their effectiveness after 72 hours of unprotected sex is not known/
It is 95% effective within 24 hours of unprotected sex, 85% between 25 - 48 hours and 58% if taken between 49 - 72 hours.
It may cause an irregular vaginal spotting or may delay the next period by a week or so; but if the periods are delayed for more than 10 days then consider visiting a Gynaecologist for evaluation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.