Can the tablets that set for Invitro fertilisation cause any effect on pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi, We were married for 5 years and have infertility issues. After going through IUI etc., doctor has suggested us to go for IVF. They gave a set of Sysron-n pills to my wife be taken for 4 days,3 times a day. Doctor told these tablets will help set for IVF batch in their hospital and clears endometrium lining.Couple of days before, I was told by my doctor that my semen report is looking better. Query is, Since my semen report is better and If we start using these tablets,By luck pregnancy occurs,Does these tablets stop pregnancy in any case or supports Pregnancy. Also, is there a possibility that periods can be delayed even after taking these tablets if pregnancy occurs.
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Depends on menstrual cycle day of wife. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to HCM. Whether those tablets will prevent pregnancy or not depends on which day of menses those tablets were started. From the description you gave it appears like tablets were started after 20th day of (start of) menses. In that case those tablets will not prevent pregnancy. These tablets though can support pregnancy, are not advisable for that purpose (supporting pregnancy), as there will be a small risk to the baby (risk of minor abnormalities). Normally they shouldn't affect baby if taken for short period as advised by your doctor. And yes, periods will be delayed (won't come at all) if pregnancy occurs while taking those tablets. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.

Follow-up: Can the tablets that set for Invitro fertilisation cause any effect on pregnancy? 2 hours later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for the prompt reply. Tablets were asked to take from 15th to 19th day of menstrual cycle, so that periods will be early and they can adjust us to IVF batch procedure in the hospital, which occurs once in month. This is the first time she's using the tablets. We were taking treatment with XXXXXXX Infertility centre, Bangalore. I believe they would have thought while giving tablets.But, I'm a bit scared, as you said tablets might cause some abnormalities. 1. So, should we re-check with doctor about using this tablet ? 2. With the above mentioned dates, even if pregnancy occurs will the tabs stop pregnancy ? Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Have you tried naturally this cycle? Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. As I already told chance of abnormalities is very low & no need to be scared for that. Regarding stopping pregnancy, those tablets won,t stop pregnancy if it happens. Have you tried naturally during this cycle? Have you started taking those tablets? How were wife's menstrual cycles in past? Regular? Cycle duration? (?28-30days). Further management depends on answers of above three questions. Awaiting reply. Regards.

Follow-up: Can the tablets that set for Invitro fertilisation cause any effect on pregnancy? 21 hours later
Hello Doctor, Have you tried naturally during this cycle - Yes,we were trying this cycle naturally. Have you started taking those tablets - My Wife has already started taking tablets on 15th day after periods, which is from y'day. How were wife's menstrual cycles in past? Regular? Cycle duration? (?28-30days).- Periods were almost regular and around 26-28 days. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can continue tablets. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. As you have already started taking those tablets, you can continue them. As I told, there is a low risk of harming pregnancy if it occurs. (If you would not have started tablets, you could have asked for safer alternatives to your doctor, like dydrogesterone tablets instead of sysron N, but no need to think of it right now). Regards.