Can the discomfort due to pain of the blood vessel bon the foot be reduced?

Hi I have a popped out blood vessel or vein in the arch of my foot I cannot walk on it due to pain. Is there something I can do to relieve the discomfort?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 29 minutes later
Hi Belle,

Before suggesting you, I would like to know a few things:

1.Are you bleeding?
2.Is there any discolouration of skin in the foot?

If not, it could possibly be PLANTAR FASCITIS. It is the stretching of connective tissue of foot, which leads to intense pain.

As the diagnosis is uncertain, It would be better to get examined by an Orthopaedician.

Meanwhile following these measures would help you:
1.Keep you affected foot in cold water. This will relieve your pain.
2.Take Analgesics which are available over the counter.
3.Wear soft sole footwear.
4.Follow exercises to strengthen your foot muscles.

Hope this answers your query, In case of any doubts I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Can the discomfort due to pain of the blood vessel bon the foot be reduced? 19 hours later
There is no bleeding but there is swelling and some discoloration and a bump that feels like a blood vessel popped out. I have had plantar facsitis in my heel; this does not feel like that. it is in the arch of my foot about 1 inch in diameter.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 13 hours later
Hi Belle,

Thanks for writing back to me.

If you feel it is hard, around 1 cm in diameter and the part that is touching the ground is turning black it could probably be a corn.

Excessive pressure is considered as the main cause behind development of corns. Such pressure may be resulted from ill-fitting shoes or high heels etc

Corns are best treated by first eliminating the cause of the pressure.
1. Wear comfortable shoes.
2. Adjust your walking style.

Over-the-counter preparations are available. These include padding (to reduce the friction on the area), ointments and medicated pads (to soften and making them easier to remove and reduce the pain)

Surgery is performed in rare cases, when treatment by the above method fails.

Hope I have answered your query. Wish you speedy recovery.